Last night the girls stayed with the grandparents overnight so we decided to try some authentic Ethiopian Food for the first time. This is a big deal for us because we broke out of our typical routine of Texas Roadhouse steak and rolls. We ate at
Uchenna's in Old Colorado City. This restaurant just opened this summer. It is a very tiny/cozy place with only a few tables run by the sweetest women, named Maya. Here are a few pictures from our night.

Adam ordered the Yebeg Alecha (Lamb dish) and I got the Miser Wat (Split Lentils). You can see there are no utensils to eat with. We had to use the Injera (Brown pancake type thing) to scoop up the food with our fingers. Quite the cultural experience! We also had a great Mediterranean Salad and to drink we had Rose Lemonade and Ginger Peach Hot tea.

Maya cooks all of the food made to order, so nothing is prepared ahead of time. So while we wait, she provided us with some Ethiopian history to read through. I liked the quote at the top of the page!

Adam ate 98% of his food. I ate 70%. The Injerra has quite a strong taste-very sour. Not my favorite. Since we are used to such blah American food, our tastebuds were in overdrive! I'm actually ok with going back and trying some of the other dishes too. Maya gave us our leftovers because she says she doesn't throw
any food away and if we weren't going to eat the leftovers to give it to the birds.

If you are looking for great Authentic Ethiopian food, try Uchenna's. Maya is a sweetheart with a great story. I'm looking forward to going back at some point...maybe get dessert next time.
1 comment:
We love Uchenna and Maya!!!
Post a Comment