Leading up to, and during this adoption process we have certainly put on our learning caps. We’re reading books, taking classes, reading scripture, asking for advice from other families who’ve adopted children, etc. Today I finished a book by Russell Moore, called Adopted For Life. It’s worth the read.
When consuming so much information in a short period of time, it is overwhelming. My brain attempts to process the information and package it into something of benefit to our family. It becomes easy to re-evaluate what I believe and why I believe it.
Here are a few scattered thoughts:
• We were all adopted when Christ died on the cross, and we are all family. I realize this is not entirely new thinking. However, if really taken to heart on a large scale, what would this change of view do for the church and our communities? Would we still have 130 million+ orphans around the world?
• Nothing about this adoption is logical to me. Words that describe it are exciting, crazy, amazing, and scary. However, I’m beginning to think that I have it all backwards. The way I typically define ‘logical’ means that I am in control and have it all planned out. Maybe my definition of ‘logical’ should mean that I feel out of control and am trusting in God, while ‘irrational’ should mean that my ducks are in a row.
• Many who were adopted have told me that they always felt a part of them was missing. They want to know where they came from, why they were given up for adoption, what their parents look like, etc. A select few have told me that the gap was filled from knowing God as father. When my son asks me what his Great Grandfather was like, I will tell him about his Great Granddad Andrews and of my experiences with him. However, I also want to embrace my son’s heritage. It will probably happen to varying degrees depending on age and maturity, but it all makes me wonder how I would feel if I was in his shoes. What would I really need and what matters most? Regardless, he is my son.
Only time will tell if I get some answers to these questions. For now, the solution is to think about my legacy and what I want that to be. I want to be remembered as a good man who lived with a childlike faith, rather than a childish heart. I want to be remembered as a family man who loved with grace. I want to be remembered for having qualities like integrity, humility and discipline. I want to be remembered not for what I consumed of the world, but for what I gave to it. I want my family to know that they’ll see me again.
While far from perfect, this is what I hope to pass on to my children. Along the way, hopefully I’ll learn a thing or two.
No comments:
Post a Comment