November 23, 2010

Priceless



I'm not a big book reader, but I want to tell you a quick little story. It's about a girl that is a now a woman and mother to a beautiful daughter. She is a wife to my Russian brother. I keep in contact with them regularly. Before all of this she lived in Hell. On a daily basis men would beat her, force themselves on her. The unimaginable. Through a series of events she is no longer trapped in that dark, evil world and is able to live life with peace.

Tom Davis has written many books, but 2 special ones are novels. I just finished "Priceless." I could not put it down. Maybe it's because I've stayed in the hotel where the first few chapters take place. Or maybe it's because I've walked through Red Square or organized tours for our teams to the very church in Moscow where the evil player in the book is a priest. Or maybe it's because I've planned many trips to Russia for Tom himself and could picture him taking notes on those trips to write this book.

No, the reason I couldn't put this book down is because I know stories that are eerily similar to this storyline. I know girls where this was their reality. It's not a feel good book. It doesn't give you the warm fuzzies. It's a HARSH TRUTH that not many people will report on or talk about.

This story takes you into such vivid detail of the true reality in Russia for girls, specifically girls who are orphans, sold and trafficked. Did you know that more than 200,000 girls in Russia and Eastern Europe are sold into slavery every year? More shocking: Did you know that 8.4 MILLION children are in slavery across the world? Yes, even in the good ol' U.S.A.

If you are looking for a way to get involved and want to help end the cycle of slavery but don't know where to start, I'd like to recommend by reading Priceless. You'll get so fired up..you'll ask questions "How can this be happening? How is this true?" Trust me, my friend, slavery and human trafficking are very real problems happening each and every day. You can also go to http://www.hopechest.org/ and read about what Children's HopeChest is doing to help end modern day slavery and see how you can be involved.

Thank you Tom for writing such an honest story. Thank you for your passion. Thank you for telling the stories of all the Sashas, Svetas, Marina's, Ludmillas, Anastasia's and Katya's. As well as the stories of girls all over the world. Because of this, there are people, like my friend who are no longer enslaved. They are the real hero's here.





Orphan Experince Promo from Children's HopeChest on Vimeo.

No comments: