October 21, 2010

What does a Homestudy look like?

Yesterday we had our "final" meeting with our social worker for our homestudy. I say "final" because there is still some work to do with her, but for the most part our report is done and we keep moving forward. HOORAY! I've had some people ask me "What does a homestudy look like?" Take a peek at this picture. This is all the paperwork we were given at our first meeting with our social worker. (Who was awesome by the way). It includes anything from doctor forms, to reference letters, contracts, release forms, legal stuff, interview questions, etc. A LOT! But it doesn't compare to what's needed for the Dossier. (Another post for another time)

When we were reading through our final report last night with our social worker, one thing she described me as in her report was extremely organized. I had to smile. I thrive when I get to be obnoxious and organize our life...So I took the pile of paperwork and created a really lovely 3 ring binder complete with page protectors and tab dividers. It was lovely.
Our Homestudy consisted of 4 meetings with our social worker. We had interviews with both me and Adam, then seperately. Plus we had the Home Safety Inspection where they get to look at our house and make sure it's a safe environment for us to bring home another child. In addition we had to take 26 hours of Colorado State required parenting classes. (Also, another post needed for this!)

The Homestudy process can feel daunting and intimidating at times. I feel at peace now that it's "over". A lot of prayer, tears, fear and questions came from it. A friend of mine once said "Adoption is a flawed process." I have to agree. There are elements of it that seem too much to handle...It's a blessing and a curse. You don't want it to be too easy for anyone to be able to adopt...because you don't want kids getting in the wrong families or to be put in an unsafe place. But you also don't want it to be too hard and too tedious that it becomes too hard for families to adopt. You have to find a happy medium and power through the paperwork, no matter how crazy, stupid or ridiculous some of it feels.

I'm glad our first BIG part of the adoption is over. I'm ready to be done with paperwork...another friend of mine told me that you also aren't ever really done with paperwork...even after they come home. So maybe I'll start work on another 3 ring binder to pass the time. (ha!)

No comments: