May 4, 2011

Referral Day!!!


Alright. Here's how it went down.

Monday, I'm up in Denver having dinner. Adam is home with the girls. I'm about 90 minutes away. On my drive up, I pray "Lord, FYI we can't get a referral tonight because I'm not home" I like how I tell God when things can and can't happen. (you'd think I'd learn, right?!) Sit down to dinner and my phone rings. It's our caseworker. I knew what the call was. Here is how our conversation went:

me: hello?!?!?!
L: Hey it's L.
me: UM I HOPE YOU AREN'T CALLING WITH A REFERRAL BECAUSE I'M NOT HOME AND NOT WITH ADAM!!!!!
L: are you out of town?
me: SORT OF!!! ABOUT 90 MINS AWAY...WON'T SEE ADAM UNTIL REALLY LATE!!! (panic, panic, breathe, breathe)
L: Ok....then um, I was just really calling to say "hi"...oh and CALL ME FIRST THING TOMORROW MORNING!
me:OK. BYE!

Hang up phone. Hands start shaking, I'm freaking out. Do I call Adam? Do I leave this great dinner that's been planned for awhile?! I power through the most yummy meal. Side note: the atmosphere of the restaurant was not conducive to me jumping up and down on the phone and yelling at the top of my lungs that we have a baby boy....I did everyone a favor!

Dropping off my brother-in-law, we call him. I put Adam on speaker and tell him that we have a referral coming. Imagine lots of confusion, questions, hyperness, more questions, thinking I'm playing a trick on him, the list goes one. I drive home.....Adam and I begin to process what will happen in the morning....we can't sleep. We can't stop talking, day dreaming, analyzing, praying, imagining, trying to sleep, more hyperness. OI! We send 2 text messages. One to a friend that says "Um...can you be at our house by 8am!?! hope you're awake!' We had asked her long ago to be able to take pictures for us to catch our first reactions...the other text was to my sister-in-law asking if she could also come early to video tape it. Both agreed. (Um...THANK YOU!)

Around 8:30am yesterday, we call back our caseworker. And then our lives changed. A great phone call. She tells us the details of him. His age, name, etc. Then she sends us the email and calls us right back to go over everything in it page by page....We see his face. His pouty lips, his gorgeous big brown eyes, his eye-lashes-OH MY GOODNESS! There he was. Our son. Our baby boy that we've been praying for and anticipating. I think our caseworker has one of the best perks in the business....giving families who have so much hope the thrill of their lives. We see his story, we start to process the emotion of the moment. There are smiles, laughter, and tears. The enormity of it overwhelms us.

This was the biggest emotional rollarcoaster we've been on in awhile. So many people shared with us the joy and celebrated with us. We have great family and friends supporting us and we are so thankful!


We spent the rest of the day calling family...putting people on skype. And staring at his face...over and over. The girls were excited. Ava was in her own world, but later in the day kept pointing to his picture and saying "baby brother". Addison loved every minute of it. She is so proud.

Next steps are getting paperwork ready for the agency to submit our case to the court in Ethiopia. Then we wait again for a court date. That seems daunting to us. So for now, we are just enjoying looking at his face and celebrating this day.

No comments: