February 5, 2011

Fingerprints

This past Thursday we had our fingerprint appointment with USCIS up in Denver. We got our appointment date over a month ago and were so happy to finally make the trip up there. I don't quite know what I had in mind about the visit, but it wasn't at all what I thought. I was picturing a big government office with lots of Immigration and Custom officials around. I pictured having to go through security, having the diaper bag looked through and I expected a lot of questions. I thought I'd see the nice big Homeland Security seal somewhere...since it was so beautifully put on all our documents. I thought the building was in downtown Denver. I expected a big American Flag outside the building. (Sorry I'm an Air Force brat so I feel very patriotic about things!) And no, I wasn't expecting to hear "I'm proud to be an American" playing...
I promise :-)

None of the above was the reality (which is ok!!). We accidentally took the long way there. We were literally 100 Blocks off the beaten path. On the way we actually passed 3 Ethiopian restaurants and an Ethiopian grocery store. Random. This office was in a small strip mall area not near downtown. Nope-not even close. No American Flag. One immigration official was there. It was more like the DMV. We were in and out of there in about 10 minutes. It was very UN-eventful. And actually I was ok with that!

Now just waiting on our I171H to come in the mail from our appointment...Then we are on our way to the wait list...Woo-Hoo!

No comments: